Thursday, July 15, 2010

Quorn! The Versatile Mushroom!

I'm not the biggest fan of mushrooms. Their taste kind of just blends in to things and I seem to only eat them when they are on pizza or in sauces or occasionally fried and stuffed with something. But then I discovered Quorn meatless products and I actually got excited about mushrooms. A fungus of all things....and it tastes great!

Quorn is a UK based brand which has been around since 1985 and has become the #1 retail brand of meat-free foods in the world! It is derived from a myco-protein ("myco" is greek from fungus) which was originally discovered growing in a field in Buckinghamshire, England. In the late 1960s, initial product development began, soon recognizing mycoprotein’s potential as an efficient and nutritious protein source. It is even low in fat and calories and high in fiber.

Even though I am a meat eater, I am still always looking for healthy options to incorporate into my diet. I get bored easily so I'm always trying to find the next best thing in food. And so far the Quorn products I have tried have not let me down. We carry 9 products by them including: beef style grounds(lower in sodium than Boca!), chik'n tenders (delicious with stir fry!), chik'n patties, chik'n nuggest, naked chik'n cutlets, and the turkey roast and turkey patties. The taste is great with no horrible aftertaste like some meat free alternatives. Their website offers a few great recipes to try including this one for Lite Quorn Stroganoff that I can't wait to try!

No comments:

Post a Comment